Monday, June 20, 2016

Sydney Writer's Festival Volunteering. Part Four.

Wow what an amazing two days it has been so far with the volunteering. Before I write anymore I must say that I have been truly blessed doing this. I am a Christian and if it wasn't for God I wouldn't be where I am today. I give all the glory and praise to God who has always been there for my family as well as me.

Deb
Well the day after the night before. It was also the end of a hugely busy week for my partner and I where we were both so exhausted. On the Saturday morning we wanted to got the Writer's Festival earlier then my shift starting. Yet we had a much needed catch up and couples time as well which was really refreshing for both of us. Even though we left later then expected we caught the fast ferry from Manly to the city. Then we caught the shuttle bus to the festival. Yet it was exciting for both of us because I was going to show my honey where I've been volunteering over the past couple of days.

As we walked through the entrance of the piers we walked into a whole different world of the festival where there were people everywhere partly because it was the weekend. The weekend is the time where the hustle and the bustle really heats up big time. We walked to the main Gleebooks store where I showed my sweetie how busy it was.  After that we went up the end of one pier where there was a talk happening. Along the way there were very long lines of people waiting to go in to hearing some talks.  I wasn't wearing my volunteer shirt at this stage yet I was wearing my lanyard. A couple of people came up and asked for help for something, to which I did.

We walked to around near where the Curiosity Stage was and up the end of the other pier. There were lines there yet it was reasonably quiet because everybody was inside listening to their talks. As were were both hungry lunch was on the menu with a coffee which we both needed, found some and then ended up having.  We also amused ourselves looking at the different things around like writing down a couple of things on a piece of paper each. Then we stuck our ones next to each others alongside all the other ones on the wall. After lunch I showed my honey the empty author's signing table and also the wing display where people could colour in some of the wings as well because it was interactive. Then we had a new experience for both of us where we went to the end of the wharf, sat down and saw the beautiful Sydney Harbour from a different view. The sun was shining on the water as all the boat craft were going past. There was a hum yet quietness at the same time along the piers which was nice. It was so special sitting there with my sweetheart being Queens of the Harbour once again...

Soon it was time to start heading back for my shift. We were walking past where we were before and I decided on a chance and whim that we go in again just to have another look. As we walked in we saw in the distance no other then Magda whom I saw last night and also Jane Caro at the writer's table.  We walked over and I introduced my partner to Magda. We then had a bit of a talk to her and Magda told me "To keep writing!!...."

Walking down the wharf we both couldn't believe what had just happened and I was just so glad that Deb could share with me part of what was happening at the festival. I was so excited for her that it wasn't funny. At the door of the volunteers room we said our "Goodbye's" then it was the near the time for my shift to start.

Quickly I got ready and then sat down with a couple of other people who were waiting as well for the start of the shift. Our leader came where we had a bit of a talk and run down which was nice. One other person eventually showed up because she went to the wrong place. yet after that we were all assigned our different tasks at very different venues. We were all helping with the running of the book signings in different venues. Mine was at some small The Loft which was a small venue  with a small place for books to be sold. The writers signing table was on the left side of the wall leading up to the cash register for the books. I was to help the sales assistant from Gleebooks to what ever she wanted me to do. So I was given instructions of what to do which was good for me to know. More new experiences were to await me where it was also quite exciting as well...

Deb
With this shift I was learning a few different and new things on the job which was exciting. I was being an usher collecting tickets, looking out for people trying to nick books, make sure the lines for the book signings were all in order and generally helping out. One exciting task was to help unpack and set up two or three whole tables of books in less then an forty minutes or an hour. That was a task and a half yet I helped a couple of people  who had done it before. If I had any questions I would ask and communicate. It was strange because by the third day I was getting quite used to all the different things I had to do. I was enjoying myself and I felt so alive being able to help people out and to talk to them. It gave me a really nice warm feeling inside although I made a couple of little mistakes... yet I did learn from them. After the big job of the book table I had a quick break where I had a few drinks of water and something to eat which I needed because I worked up a sweat.

I came back as the talk was finishing and the work began of looking after the books and people. Down  the staircase came a trickle of people and then a flood with them all buzzing around the books looking at them. Some had questions and others comments about the talk  that they had seen. Others were wondering where to pay for the books and where to line up to get them signed. All the time I was trying to keep an eye on the books with an eagle eye. Being firm yet kind when someone when people looked like they were maybe going to walk off with a book. I was also trying to be emphatic and put myself in peoples shoes who didn't know exactly what the layout of the place was at the same time. To think on your feet I think is quite an art to get used to yet it is a good skill to have I think. Soon the four or five authors were down signing books which was interesting. I looked on my time sheet then realized that there was nothing more at The Loft after this talk.  So after that I have to help out with the packing up off all the books that I helped unpack.
Deb
Next thing I knew was this lady with an accent came up to me and asked if her husband was still signing books. I asked who her husband was and she told me his name. From then we had a lovely conversation talking about many varied things from her homeland of Scotland to books, what she did, writing and a few more things on top of that. Somehow I told her about my book and she said that they knew someone who had it as well. She thought I handled myself really well and was quite surprised that I had Aspergers. Anyway her husband came and the rest of the book signings wrapped up leaving me to help with the booksellers. I asked what I could help with because I still had about an hour of my shift left.

 They said that I could finish early and the bookseller said that I was the best volunteer that she'd had the whole day. I also got a big thank you from her which made me feel good for helping out. I went back to the volunteers room and found the lead supervisor and told her they were all well there. She also said that I could finish early which was a great surprise. As I was talking to her the team leader came back with the rest of the team and they concurred together that we can all finish early. I also discovered that there were toilets that I could have used all week in the the volunteers room much to my surprise again. I was just using the public toilets on the piers which was interesting to do. I used the volunteers toilets for the first time after signing off and as I walked out I discovered the last shuttle bus was still there at about 6:10pm.

It was meant to leave at 6pm and it was the last bus for the day. I was overjoyed because it meant that I didn't have to walk back to the Quay. Getting on the bus was a huge relief and finding a seat was another one. The air on the bus was abuzz with volunteers and patrons alike after a busy day at the festival. The stories in the air about peoples experiences were interesting to hear and made you feel good.  On the way back another volunteer who was Russian sat next to me and we talked about the day. Soon the bus came to it's last stop and everyone scattered into the the cool autumn nights air. The Russian volunteer and I talked about her hometown in Russia and bid adieu to each other at my fast ferry terminal. Soon I found myself flying across the water to Manly then to meet up with my love. Creativity was streaming in my blood and as I was waiting to be picked up I found myself taking photo's around the wharf. When my honey came we ended up having dinner at the pizza bar of Crinitti's with a couple of Italian desserts as a treat afterwards for ourselves.



This was the start to a couple more days of adventure and break that we both needed... Fare thee well until the next blog post.....

























Deb





Jane Caro and Deb

Deb and Magda

Deb and Magda

Deb, Magda and I



The book table I helped with...

         
The book table I helped with...
The book table I helped with...
The book table I helped with...




More Pictures......





Shadow selfie portrait...













.


No comments:

Post a Comment